Sissi Chen / GAZETTE

Men’s hockey

This past weekend, the team travelled north to Thunder Bay for a pair of games against the Lakehead Thunderwolves. The Western Mustangs won their Friday night matchup 6–2, scoring three goals on six shots in the opening 10 minutes. Saturday’s game required overtime, but the Mustangs came out on top with a 3–2 win.

Since returning from the winter break, the Mustangs men’s hockey team has been the hottest team in the Ontario University Athletics and is currently riding a six-game win streak. With 22 points, they hold the second-last playoff spot in the West division.

Five of the Mustangs’ final seven games are at home. Their next game is against the Laurier Golden Hawks on Jan. 25.

Women’s hockey

The women's basketball team split their weekend road games. The Mustangs lost 2–0 to the University of Ontario Institute of Technology on Saturday but bounced back on Sunday with a 3–0 win against the Queen's Gaels.

The win against the Gaels — who are ranked first provincially and eighth nationally — improves the Mustangs' record to 10–2–5–2 (wins–overtime wins–losses–overtime losses). With 36 points, the Mustangs currently sit in third in the Ontario University Athletics, and with five games left to play before the OUA playoffs begin, the Mustangs look to be in good shape.

The next game for the women's hockey team is at home against the Laurier Golden Hawks on Jan. 26.

Women’s basketball

The women’s basketball team hosted the McMaster Marauders this past weekend in an 83–80 Mustangs loss that came down to the wire. With less than a minute to go in the fourth quarter, Laura Graham tied the game for the Mustangs with a clutch three-pointer. The Marauders responded immediately with a three-pointer of their own to regain the lead. The Mustangs were never able to recover.

The loss brings the Mustangs to 8–8 on the season. Next up, the team travels to Sault Ste. Marie for a pair of games, the first of which is on Jan. 26.

Men’s basketball

The men's basketball team's four-game winning streak came to an end this weekend as the Mustangs lost 90–76 to the McMaster Marauders.

The loss brings the Mustangs to 9–7 overall, and with 18 points, they sit precariously in second place in the West, with the Laurier Golden Hawks just two points back.

Women’s volleyball

The women’s volleyball team was in Thunder Bay this past weekend for back-to-back games against the Lakehead Thunderwolves. The Mustangs defeated the Thunderwolves in dominating fashion, winning both games 3–0.

Kelsey Veltman lead all Mustangs with 21 points over the weekend. Melissa Langegger and Taylor Beedie were not far behind with 15 and 13 apiece.

Next up for the Mustangs is a weekend home stand where they will host Nipissing University on Jan. 27 and York University on Jan. 28.

The following are not included: curling, men's squash, ringette, swimming, track and field, and wrestling.