This was a big weekend for the Western Mustangs with several teams wrapping up their regular seasons, others entering OUA playoff competition and some just starting their seasons.

Field hockey

The Mustangs field hockey team finished their regular season in Toronto with a pair of losses. The Purple and White lost 1–4 to the York Lions and then 0–5 to the Toronto Varsity Blues, ending with a 3–7–1 record and a fifth-place finish. The team heads back to Toronto the weekend of Oct. 27 to 29 for the start of the Ontario University Athletics playoffs.

Football

The Mustangs football team ended their regular season with a commanding 63–10 victory over the Ottawa Gee-Gees. With only a perfect 8–0 season at risk, the Homecoming football game was less about securing a playoff spot and more about putting on a show for over 5,200 fans that turned out. In the second quarter, starting quarterback Chris Merchant injured his non-throwing wrist, forcing him out of the game. Merchant would return in the second half, however, to relieve his replacement, Stevenson Bone, who broke his arm. The Mustangs will be back in action on Nov. 4 at TD Stadium for some semifinal action against an undetermined opponent.

Hockey (women's)

The Mustangs women's hockey team opened their OUA season this weekend with a pair of wins. The team was in North Bay on Friday to take on the Nipissing Lakers, coming out triumphant with a 6–3 victory. The offence was dominant, scoring four goals in the first. The Purple and White came out firing on all cylinders again on Saturday, posting a 5–1 win over the Laurentian Voyageurs. Next up for the Mustangs is their home opener against the Brock Badgers on Oct. 27.

Hockey (men's)

With a win and a loss in their home-opening weekend, the men's hockey team now sits at 1–2 in OUA competition. On Friday, the team fell 4–3 against the Carleton Ravens, a game that saw the Ravens score thrice on the power play. Saturday was a different story as the Mustangs defeated Ottawa 7–3.

Lacrosse (women's)

After they were dethroned in last year's controversial loss to Trent Excalibur in the championship game, the women's lacrosse team is back on top. The team won 11–3 over the McMaster Marauders in the quarter-finals, 10–4 against the Varsity Blues in the semifinals and then 9–7 in the championship game against the Queen's Gaels. The provincial title is the Mustangs' seventh in the last eight years.

+3 
wlax oua champs

The women's lacrosse team captured the seventh provincial title in the program's history this past weekend.

Lacrosse (men's)

The men's lacrosse team concluded their regular season with an 11–10 overtime win over the Guelph Gryphons. The team wrapped up their season with 20 points, good enough for second in the West and tied for third in the league. Next up for the team is the playoffs where they will compete for the Baggataway Cup, the Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association's highest honour. Playoffs are scheduled to begin the week of Oct. 23.

Rugby (women's)

After going 0–4 in their regular season, the Mustangs turned things around and finished 3–0 in the relegation rounds. They capped it off this weekend with a hard-fought 31–22 win over Brock. The Mustangs will remain in the elite Shiels Division while the Badgers are forced to remain in the tier-two Russell Division next year.

Rugby (men's)

The final game of the regular season for the men's rugby team was a disappointing one as they failed to register a point. Guelph won the game by a score of 56–0. The Mustangs finish the season with a 5–3 record and a fourth place finish in the OUA standings heading into the playoffs.

Soccer (women's)

First in the West with 43 points and a 14–1–1 record is where the women's soccer team sits comfortably. The team finished their regular season with a commanding 11-point lead over Guelph who finished the season second in the West. The Mustangs have been dominant all year, allowing only five goals while scoring 36 in their 16-game season. Having received a bye through the first round of the playoffs, the team will be back in action on Oct. 28 for an OUA quarter-final matchup against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.

Soccer (men's)

The Mustangs men's soccer team lost their final game of the regular season 1–0, falling short to Guelph. The game was almost a 0–0 draw, until, in the final minute of play, Guelph's Mitchell Lefebvre scored the lone goal that propelled them to victory. The Mustangs will be back in action on Oct. 25 where they will host Brock in a first-round playoff matchup.

Softball

After the provincial championship game was rained out on Oct. 15 in the bottom of the fifth inning with both teams locked at 0, the Mustangs and Laurier Golden Hawks met again this weekend. The Mustangs reigned supreme as they captured their eighth consecutive provincial title with a nail-biting 1–0 victory. Emma Murray scored the only run of the game on a drive from Briar Balas. Pitcher Rachael Jacques pitched all seven innings, striking out eight batters and allowing only two hits to earn the shutout for the team and Championship MVP for her efforts.

+3 
softball oiwfa champs

The Mustangs softball team won their eighth consecutive provincial title on Sunday, the 10th in the program's history.

0
0
0
0
0

Managing Editor of Design

Jordan is the Managing Editor of Design for Volume 111. He was a graphics editor for Volumes 109-110 and is a recent graduate of Western's now defunct MTP program.