Eleven of Western University's varsity teams spent their FOCO weekend competing, with some big wins and upsetting losses coming from all over the province.

Baseball

The baseball team played their doubleheader on Sunday against the Laurier Golden Hawks, the top ranked team in the OUA. The Mustangs fell short in both games, losing 3–2 and 10–0. The team is now fourth in the OUA having won seven and lost seven. This weekend they play the second-to-last ranked Waterloo Warriors.

+1 
Oct 1 Baseball v Laurier - Jordan McGavin-3.jpg

The Western Mustangs and Laurier Golden Hawks were in action this weekend at Aldridge Park, Oct. 1, 2017.

Field Hockey

The Mustangs field hockey team dropped both of their weekend games and now sits third in the OUA with a record of 3–3–1. They lost 2–1 to the Waterloo Warriors on Saturday and then 2–0 to the Guelph Gryphons. The team has four more regular season games to play before Provincials at the end of October.

Football

The Mustangs football team remains as the only undefeated team in Ontario University Athletics football after toppling the Laurier Golden Hawks by a score of 29–13. The game was a rematch of last year's Yates Cup which saw the Golden Hawks win the game in an upset 40–3 victory. The Mustangs are 6–0 on the season. Their next game is this weekend at home against the Carleton Ravens.

Men's Lacrosse

The men's lacrosse team won both their contests this weekend, topping the Laurentian Voyageurs 24–13 on Saturday in Sudbury and then the Toronto Varsity Blues 16–6 on Sunday in Toronto. The team is now 7–1 on the season and sits in first place in the Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association West division. The team has four more games to play before they have a chance to compete for a provincial title.

Women's Lacrosse

The women's lacrosse team played three games on Saturday and went three-for-three, winning against the York Lions, the UOIT Ridgebacks and the Toronto Varsity Blues. The team now sits at 8–1 with four games left in their regular season until provincials.

Men's Rugby

After losing a tough rivalry match at Queen's last weekend, the men's rugby team was in Kingston again on Saturday for a 38–31 win over Royal Military College. The Mustangs' 3–2 record has them fifth in their ten-team league, with three games left to play. 

Women's Rugby

The women's rugby team wrapped up their regular season on Friday at Alumni Field, losing 33–20 to the York Lions. As a result, they finish their season winless and will now compete in a playoff against teams from the second-tier Russell Division for the right to stay in the top-tier Shiels Division in 2018.

Men's Soccer

After losing both of their games last weekend, the men's soccer team has bounced back to win one and tie one this past weekend. The team won 2–0 at home against the Windsor Lancers before traveling to Toronto on Sunday to take on the York Lions in a game that resulted in a 1–1 tie. The team sits fourth in the OUA West division with 21 points and a record of 6–2–3. Ahead of them are three teams with 25 points and a three-way tie for first place. This weekend the team travels to Toronto to take on the Algoma Thunderbirds who sit last in the division with three points and a 1–9 record.

Women's Soccer

The women's soccer team won both of their weekend contests, beating the Windsor Lancers 3–0 and then the York Lions 2–0. The team has now won nine consecutive games and continue to dominate the OUA West division with a record 10–1. They have a 10 point lead over the second-placed Guelph Gryphons. This weekend the team travels to Sault Ste. Marie for a doubleheader against the last-placed Algoma Thunderbirds who are winless on the season at 10–0.

Softball

The women's softball team has swept the regular season, capping it off by winning all six of their of their games this weekend — with impressive margins. They got the ball rolling on Friday with a couple of wins against the Guelph Gryphons, winning 9–0 and 13–2. Their assertiveness continued into their weekend play with wins against the Toronto Varsity Blues (12–0 and 8–1) and then against the Ryerson Rams (8–0 and 11–3). The team has won all 22 of their regular season games and is poised for success as they head to Nationals in Ottawa this weekend.

Men's Tennis

With a win and a loss, the men split their weekend games to finish the season 4–2. Their loss came at the hands of the Montréal Carabins who topped them by a score of 3–4. The team was in action again the following day and won against the McMaster Marauders 7–0. Next up, the team heads to Toronto for the OUA championship where they will compete for their chance at a provincial title.

+1 
Sept 30 Mens Tennis - Liam McInnis-2.jpg

The men's tennis team finished their season 4–2 and will compete at the OUA championship Oct. 6 to 8.

Women's Tennis

The women's tennis team has concluded their regular season with a 5–1 record. They finished off the season with a 6–1 win against the Montréal Carabins at home on Saturday followed by a 5–0 win over the McMaster Marauders in Hamilton on Sunday. The team will travel to Toronto this weekend for the OUA championship and play for their chance at a provincial title.

0
0
0
0
0

Charlie is a third year student in Media, Information and Technoculture, and is a second year sports editor for Volume 111 of the Gazette. Follow him on Twitter @charliejclarke or contact him at charlie@westerngazette.ca

Managing Editor of Design

Jordan is the Managing Editor of Design for Volume 111. He was a graphics editor for Volumes 109-110 and is a recent graduate of Western's now defunct MTP program.