Sissi Chen / GAZETTE

It was a strong weekend for the Mustangs, with steady performances across the board. The women's rowing team won their fifth consecutive national title at the Canadian University Rowing Championships in Victoria, B.C. Back in Ontario, the men's lacrosse team was crowned provincial champions for the second year in a row.

Basketball (women's)

The Mustangs women's basketball team won both their contests this weekend, a pair of home games against the Toronto Varsity Blues and the Ryerson Rams. The Mustangs beat the Varsity Blues 60–59 and the Rams 66–55. They are now riding a three-game win streak as they look ahead to their next match, a home game against the Windsor Lancers.

Mustangs' Laura Graham moves to block her University of Toronto counterpart during their game at Alumni Hall, Nov. 3, 2017. Michael Conley / GAZETTE

Basketball (men's)

The men's basketball team split their games this weekend, losing 53–66 to the Varsity Blues on Friday and then bouncing back on Saturday to tally a win over the Rams with a score of 62–59. Six consecutive points in the dying seconds by Omar Shiddo secured the win. The team is back in action on Wednesday as the take on the Lancers here at home.

Mustangs guard Nikola Farkic protects the ball from a University of Toronto defender during their game at Alumni Hall on Nov. 3, 2017. Michael Conley / GAZETTE

Football

After a bye week, the Mustangs football team was back at it this weekend, taking on the Guelph Gryphons in an Ontario University Athletics semifinal clash. The Mustangs came out victorious, trouncing the Gryphons 66–12. With the win, the Mustangs move onto the 110th Yates Cup where they'll meet none other than the Laurier Golden Hawks. Kickoff is Nov. 11 at 1 p.m. at TD Stadium.

Liam McInnis / GAZETTE

Hockey (men's)

A shaky 1–4 start to the season improved to 3–4 this weekend thanks to a pair of wins. The Mustangs won 4–2 over the University of Windsor and 3–2 over Laurier University. Rookie goaltender Zach Springer played his first two games as a Mustang this weekend and won them both. Springer and the improved special teams helped the Mustangs claim the wins this weekend.

Jordan McGavin / GAZETTE

Hockey (women's)

The Mustangs women's hockey team split their games this weekend. They lost 2–1 to the Varsity Blues on Friday but bounced back on Saturday to beat the Rams 3–2 in overtime. Next is a pair of home games against the University of Ontario Institute of Technology Ridgebacks and Queen's Gaels.

Lacrosse (men's)

For the second year in a row, the men's lacrosse team has been awarded the Baggataway Cup and crowned provincial champions. The Mustangs beat Queen's in the quarter-finals 13–6, then went on to beat the McGill Redmen 14–11 to earn their spot in the championship game against the Brock Badgers. The ensuing game needed double-overtime to determine a winner, but the Mustangs overcame, winning the game 16–14.

Rowing

The university rowing season came to an end this weekend as the Mustangs travelled to Victoria, B.C. for the Canadian University Rowing Championships. The women's team finished first, capturing their fifth consecutive national title. The men's team performed well too, placing third overall.

Soccer (women's)

The Mustangs women's soccer team was in Oshawa, Ont. this weekend for some final four action. The team won their semifinal game against the Gaels 1–0 and will advance to the finals against the Gryphons — the team that handed the Mustangs their only loss of the regular season. Tied at 1 after 90 minutes and extra time, the OUA championship game was decided by penalty kicks. Guelph prevailed, winning the game 2–1. The Mustangs claimed silver and will now prepare for their game against Laval University in the U Sports championships.

Not included are ringette, squash and wrestling.