Receiver Dejuan Martin, 17, evaded a tackle on his way down the field, Sept. 8, 2018. Lucy Villeneuve / GAZETTE

Nothing could stop the Western Mustangs football team from extending their winning streak to 14 games dating back to last season as they dominated the McMaster Marauders by a score of 44-6 at TD Stadium on Saturday.

After driving down to within the 10-yard line, the Mustangs took their first big shot against the Mac secondary: quarterback Chris Merchant lobbed a long pass to the corner of the end zone, targeting running back Alex Taylor. While the two were not able to connect on the pass, the Marauders defender was called for pass interference, pushing the ball to the one-yard line.

Capitalizing on the defensive mistake, the Mustangs handed the ball to Cedric Joseph on an inside power rush. Joseph muscled through the line, putting the Mustangs on the board with his first touchdown of the year.

After their second drive of the game was stalled by a failed counter run, Western was forced to settle for a field goal with just one minute left in the first quarter.

With the first quarter running down, Western delivered a late hit to McMaster’s quarterback, Jackson White, pushing Mac’s field position dangerously close to the red zone. While the team was unable to score a major, they put points on the board with a field goal, closing the Western lead to four.

The Mustangs couldn't finish in the red zone on their next offensive drives, settling for three consecutive field goal attempts. However, despite kicking from a manageable distance, a poor snap cost Western a field goal, keeping their lead to a one-score game at 13-7.

Taylor broke this trend, though, as he sped around the edge and powered into the end zone, extending his team’s lead to 13 points.

As the final seconds ticked off the clock, it seemed Western would leave the half with a commanding lead, prepared to take the ball to open the second.

In the second, Merchant and Harry McMaster completed this narrative, connecting on a 55-yard touchdown strike to go up 27-3 against the Marauders.

Western looked unstoppable to begin the second half. However, after a holding call negated a big run from Taylor, the Mustangs opted for another field goal, putting the team up 30-3. 

The rest of the quarter was all Cedric Joseph. The fourth-year halfback added two more touchdowns on the ground, and he finished with almost 100 yards and three scores.

In an offensive display from the Mustangs, second-year safety Daniel Valente Jr. put on a show of his own, picking up two interceptions and dropping a possible third in his own end zone.

The Mustangs are back in action next weekend against the York University Lions at TD Stadium.