With less than a second left on the clock, the Laurier Golden Hawks broke the 40–40 tie and kicked a 25-yard field goal for three points and the title of provincial champion.

The Mustangs got off to an ideal start as Mackenzie Ferguson returned the opening kickoff 69 yards. Running back Alex Taylor scored on the opening drive, finding the end zone on a 12-yard run to put the Mustangs up 7–0 early in the game.

The Mustangs then retrieved a short kick to take possession at the Laurier 37 yard line. The drive ended with a field goal as the Mustangs extended their lead to 10–0.

The Golden Hawks cut the Mustangs' lead to 10-3 at the 6:14 mark of the first quarter after Laurier kicker Nathan Mesher nailed a 22-yard field goal. 

The Mustangs extended their lead to 13–3 early in the second quarter as Marc Liegghio nailed a 19-yard field goal. Laurier responded as Nathan Mesher hit a field goal to make it 13–6.

Western quarterback Chris Merchant then threw an interception and Laurier scored on the next play off a 42-yard run from Levondre Gordon to tie the game up at 13 apiece.

With all the momentum at the end of the half, the Hawks extended their lead with two field goals from Mesher who hit 18 and 27-yard kicks.

The first half ended at 19–13 with the Mustangs reeling and unable to stop the dominant Golden Hawks running attack led by Levondre Gordon and a 98-yard first half performance.

The Mustangs came out firing in the second half, however, as a big defensive stop led to the great field position. Merchant then hit George Johnson with a 39-yard pass as the Mustangs retained the lead 20–19.

After a bizarre Laurier fumble in Western territory the Mustangs continued to pounce as Merchant found Harry McMaster with a 56-yard bomb. Taylor extended the Mustangs lead to 26–19 with a 13 yard run.

Western continued to play a solid defense throughout the third quarter and move the chains on after a huge catch from Justin Sanvido and a fake handoff run from Merchant who ran the ball to the Western five yard line.

After a hard hit on that run Merchant left the game with an arm injury. Stevenson Bone came in behind centre and Alex Taylor ran another touchdown in on a five yard rush to extend the Mustangs lead to 33–19 at the end of the third quarter.

The Mustangs never looked back as Western poured salt on the wound in the fourth quarter as Harry McMaster put the Mustangs up 40–19 for a 61-yard reception after breaking a tackle.

The Golden Hawks responded with 8:00 left in the game. On third down and 16, Laurier quarterback Michael Knevel threw it up and Brentyn Hall came down with it for the 29 yard touchdown pass to cut the Western lead to 40–26.

With 2:55 to go the Golden Hawks scored again to make it 40–33 as Knevel found Carson Ouellette for a 23 yard TD pass.

Then with 1:23 left in the game the Golden Hawks tied it up as Taylor fumbled it and Laurier proceeded to score on the next play as Knevel found Kurleigh Gittens Jr. to tie the game at 40 points apiece.

Greg Marshall was clearly dissapointed at the end of the game as he consoled his staff and players outside the dressing room.

"It's disappointing for the players on our team" said Marshall. "It's disappointing for the senior players who have given so much who just played their last football game here and that's not easy."

Coach Marshall gave Laurier the credit on their monumental comeback.

"Give them all the credit," said Marshall. "They could afford to play aggressive and in the fourth quarter we were probably too conservative but we had the lead and it's just unfortunate."

While the loss is devastating the Mustangs coach is proud of how his team came together throughout the season.

"We had a great effort all season long," he said. "We were young in lots of different positions and I thought our guys came together really well. I'm really really proud of them."

0
0
0
0
0